Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Wednesday 1/20/10

Today I got up at 5:30 AM and packed my bag and headed to Aquafit for a circuit training session. This week the training is focusing on the upper body. The training is 30 minutes long and very challenging and I look forward to do this training more in the future. Next week the focus will be on the lower body and should help with my running and bike work.

Once I completed the circuit training I changed to my swimsuit and did 20 minutes in the pool. While there were no drills on the schedule I did do laps and practice on my breathing. The swim is going to be the hardest part for me. From my research and never having a formal swim lesson it seems that I am unbalanced. Should I be able to breathe from both sides? I seem to only turn my head to the left and I think this is wrong.

Tomorrow is a run and strength training for arms and back.

3 comments:

  1. I suggest you spend a little bit of time during your swim workouts practicing your breathing on both sides, but don't stress over it. It's not that big of a deal if you only breath on the left.

    Bilateral breathing can help you swim in more of a straight line, and sometimes it's nice to be able to pick which side you breath on so you can sight for landmarks, or breath without the sun getting in your eyes. But there's no reason why you can't go your whole life breathing just on the left side if you want to.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jeff, Thanks for your comment this will help me calm down and focus better. I always believe that knowledge is power, some say I let it get in my way. Good luck on your upcoming Ironman.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A big reason why a lot of people suggest breathing on both sides is that it's often more comfortable, timing-wise, to breathe every 3 strokes. Breathing every other stroke is too often, typically, and every 4 can be pushing it when you're tired. Bilateral breathing is also a good way to help keep your body aligned, as your friend Jeff mentioned.

    A workout I give my swimmers is to swim 150 yds, breathing every 3 strokes for the first 50/every 5 strokes for the second 50/every 7 strokes for the third 50. I usually have them do this 2-3 times on a 2:30/3:00 interval. Good practice for bilateral breathing & breath control.

    ReplyDelete