Thursday, March 8, 2012

BCA! - Cancer Transitions

So last night Marion and I went to the first meeting for a cancer support group for those that have completed their treatments. The group is Cancer Transitions Moving Beyond Treatment by LIVESTRONG and is 6 weeks and seems like it will be a very good support group. We talked about what it means to be a survivor. The Cancer Support Community defines a survivor as one that has been diagnosed with cancer, from the time of their diagnoses through the rest of their life. This is hard for me to except because I consider myself as a fighter or warrior. When I started chemotherapy I was told that once I was done my treatments I needed to be cancer free for 5 years. That is when I will consider myself a Survivor.

So now that treatments are done I am getting myself back in shape to compete and be better than I was before my diagnoses. To that end I did my second 2 mile Run/Walk today. This was a little faster than Tuesdays activity by 10 seconds but hey every second counts. While I am feeling happy to be running again it distresses me that I have lost so much over the past 8 months. My resting heart rate used to be 50 bpm now I can't seem to get it below 75 bpm. The hardest thing for me to address are my feelings and I will be working on that here with my friends and followers. So if you don't seem to be understanding my feelings or I seem to be skimming over them call me out on it. Next week I will begin my strength training program at the Y with Marion.

My first goal of running a 5K is just over a week away and I am doing everything to be ready for the St. Patty's Day 5K on March 17, 2012.

No comments:

Post a Comment