Thursday, April 26, 2012

BCA! - CANCER FREE

To many CANCER SURVIVORS getting the chemo port removed is a sign that not only are you cancer free but that you won't be getting anymore treatments. Today was my day to feel that joy and I can tell you that this is another day I will never forget.

The surgery went as planned, I reported to the Outpatient window at 10:15 AM and was on my way home prior to noon. From a timeline of my Cancer it was June 26, 2011 that I had my colonoscopy  and was told there was a blockage. July 2, 2011 my wife brought home the report from the test and I found out that 4 out of the 5 polyps tested positive for cancer. July 15, 2011 I was having a scope to tattoo the tumor and that is when I was told that the cancer was in Stage 3. August 3, 2011 I had a colon resection and the doctor said chemotherapy would start within 6 weeks. Beginning of September 2011 my chemo port was implanted and I started treatments September 15, 2011. My last treatment ended February 15, 2012 and today the port was removed.

While I am a survivor I also consider myself as a fighter and continue to fight this horrible thing called cancer. Yesterday I started acupuncture to help get me some relief from the side effects that continue to cause me some issues. My training is starting over as I need to rebuild the muscle loss from the treatments.

On Sunday April 29, 2012 I will ride my bike for 36 miles and continue to train for the Marine Corps Historic Half Marathon, May 20, 2012. These events will help me mentally that I can rebound and show everyone that you can succeed no matter what the odds are.

1 comment:

  1. I am also a survivor, but of breast cancer. We no longer have boundaries, as; we would not have been here 10 years ago. Go man go!
    I never ran before, but within the last year I have finished countless 5ks and 3 half marathons. I never even exercised before.
    I no longer have limits.
    You will be in my prayers
    btw. I am gene positive, and I will live!

    ReplyDelete